Oh Boy

This morning I started to apply clear coat to Tess’ bike. It is a steel frame I bought for touring circa 2000 from REI and between the original color being crappy and years of abuse it was in desperate need of some TLC. So I stripped it down, components and paint, and started to build it back up, similar to what I did with Scout years ago.

I’ve been carefully building up the color starting with an ample coat of primer and then thin layers of paint. Today was supposed to be clear coat and dry to finish. While I was applying clear coat I noticed an imperfection between the seat post and the top tube. Bugger that, I’ll just sand it out and build it back up again. But no, the paint at this joint hadn’t really dried very well and so it pealed as I sanded.

Argh!  Imperfections at the Joints

Argh! Imperfections at the Joints

I’m sitting here trying to figure out if I’m going to wait for it to dry a little more and continue to sand and feather out the imperfection or break out the acid and strip out the area. Yes, its a little frustration, but not the end of the world.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s